Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pretend

Ishish has developed a vivid imagination. His Cozy Coupe will be a firetruck, his half eaten Ritz cracker a boat, and he regularly hears Swiper.

Yesterday before his nap he was pretending to pick up a book underneath the coffee table, and he asked me to read it. He often tries to get away with reading more than one book, so I told him that if we read that "book" we weren't reading any others. He seemed fine with that, so I thought, what should the book be about? I made it a story of a boy who went and played with friends and even had lunch with them (which, not so coincidentally, is what we had done that morning). I made the story complete with turning the "pages" and eating the "lunch". He was satisfied.

Before bed he brought me another "book" and told me it was about a train... and then added that it was also about an apple! Hmm. Fortunately I once again was able to come up with a story that he liked. It seems we have a new habit, because before his nap today he brought me another imaginary book, about babies he informed me, to read. Now I have the trouble of coming up with a story so quickly!

No comments: